Friday, October 31, 2008

Rough Week at the Chambers House

They say that when it rains it pours. We have definitely been feeling the pouring rain here. Hopefully it will stay dry for awhile at the Chambers house.

1. Two weeks ago the garage door broke. It was the torsion spring which counters the weight of the door making it so the garage can actually go up. Mike said it was something that he couldn't fix. We had to get it fixed since we couldn't get into the garage at all. Cost: $150.00.

2. The car that Tiffani has been driving died on Monday the 20th (the very first car that Mike and I bought together.) It was going to cost somewhere between $700 and $3000 to be fixed. We decided that it wasn't worth putting that much money into a 19 year old car. Now we have three drivers and just two cars. It's hard to adjust to the loss of something when you have become so accustomed to it. I have loved that Tiffani can drive herself to where she needs to go. She also helps me get the girls where they need to be and runs errands for me. Now Tiffani and I are trying to work out the car thing and I'm definitely feeling the loss of the Honda. We are trying to convince Mike to get another car. He told Tiffani that she needs to save her money and that he would 'help' her get another car. Cost: A car for Tiffani $$$$



3. Thursday as we were all trying to leave, Tiffani came home from Seminary with a flat tire on the Suburban. It had a screw in it. So now we have three drivers and only one car that is working with all three of us trying to get out the door. Not happy people at the Chambers house. The tire was too worn out to justify fixing it, so Mike decided it was time to replace all 4 tires on the Suburban (the tires were near the end of their lifetime.) Mike put air in the tire and drove it to work hoping that it would last until he could get to COSTCO for a full tire lobotomy. Tiffani and I left in the other car and I dropped her off at school, then I went to school. After I got out of class I went to meet up with Mike to take the Suburban to COSTCO for new tires. It took 3 hours.
Cost: 4 new tires $900.00

4. Monday morning my cell phone breaks. Not just a little break but completely broken in half and unusable. Mike and I have been talking about switching cell phone companies but Courtney is still under contract until March. Luckily a guy that works with Mike had the same phone we do but had recently changed wireless provider, and hence had a new phone leaving the old one out of service. He kindly gave me his old phone. I was so happy! Who would have thought that one could be so happy about a phone. Cost: None except the $2.50 for a new ring tone.

I know that it could be worse and I am grateful for the many blessings we have; family, good friends, a job, food, and a nice roof over our heads.

4 comments:

Allie said...

WE've had one of those weeks too, I'm so sorry.

Aimee Memory said...

That same thing happens to us all the time. Just know that you are not alone.

gretchen said...

Yikes! What a week. Hopefully this one will be better:)

Tami said...

Ohhh I'm so sorry Lisa! You called me on the day you were sitting in Costco....I should have brought you lunch. Some friend I am.