Saturday, March 21, 2009

School Projects!

I was wondering if anyone else wonders if school projects are really parent projects? Sometimes I think the projects are great and help our children learn, although some times I wonder if its just to see which parent can be smarter or out do the other parents. I just know that I am glad that Mike can help Tiffani with her projects as they would really frustrate me.

Kylie's project was to do research on a person that she had been assigned to, her person was Betsy Ross. On the day that it was due they had to dress up and present what information they had found on that person. We made a flag for Kylie to have as a prop for her presentation. It was a group effort as Ashley helped me sew some of it together.




For physics Tiffani had to create a Rube Goldberg. Here is the definition just in case you don't know what it is: a comically involved, complicated invention, laboriously contrived to perform a simple operation. One of those projects that are very time consuming.

It had to have a least 10 key elements to it and the longer it took the better your grade would be. One girl had ice melting, where the water would then trigger the next sequence, it still hadn't melted enough to work the first day. Tiffani was really excited that her's worked the first time through and it crushed the can the required measurement. She said a lot of people couldn't even get theirs to work.

Tiffani's Rube Goldberg invention

The can that had to be crushed.

3 comments:

A. Burge said...

As a teacher, I can tell you that school projects are totally turn into parent projects. I have a really strong opinion about this. We just finished doing our own kids science fair projects - it was such a pain and they lost interest after the first 30 min. Tell Mike you both get an A+!!

Allie said...

They are totally parent projects...

Megan said...

I cannot stand when they give homework to the kids that you know you are going to have to do. It aggravates me to no end. Recently, as part of Sarah's project, she had to dress up like Sarah Breedlove Walker. You did a ton better at dressing Kylie up. Sarah just looked like she was trying to dress nice for school. I mentioned to her teacher that I had no clue how to dress her like a larger African American woman. Hopefully it won't count against her.